North East Somerset and Bath Methodist Circuit
Box Methodist Church is part of The North East Somerset and Bath Methodist Circuit which was launched on Sunday 31st August 2008. The circuit was created by combining most of the former Midsomer Norton circuit with the Bath circuit, and the Methodist Church in Keynsham.
The Bristol District of the Methodist Church
Our Circuit is in turn part of The Bristol District, made up of 10 circuits in 5 county areas: Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire, Bristol and the edge of Oxfordshire.
The New Room in Bristol is the oldest Methodist Chapel in the world (originally built in 1739) and the cradle of the early Methodist movement. There are regular services and events.
We enjoy excellent ecumenical relations with our Anglican colleagues in the village. The two Parish Churches of St. Thomas à Becket and St. Christopher’s (Ditteridge) join with us on occasions during the year for joint services and activities. Many of our activities take place under the title ‘The Churches in Box’, and it’s a joy to work together with them in promoting the Christian message in the village.
We come together to celebrate each other’s Anniversary/Patronal Services, for Rogation Sunday and Remembrance Sunday.
There are also special Joint Services for All Souls Day and the Women’s World Day of Prayer.
Nationally, the Methodist Church and the Anglican Church have been in conversations for many years. This resulted in a Covenant signed in Westminster Abbey and Methodist Central Hall on 1st November 2003, with the two Churches looking to work much more closely together. This we do both nationally, and locally in Box.